Pathway to Community Health Worker
Are you considering a career in health care, wellness, or nutrition? Chatfield’s Community Health Worker (CHW) pathway prepares students for a career working with individuals to provide effective, efficient, and appropriate services to underserved clients and diverse communities. Community Health Workers are important community resources and can:
- Assist nurses, social workers, nutritionists, and other health care professionals in providing health services.
- Help individuals and communities by increasing health knowledge through outreach, community education, informal counseling, and social support
Graduates go on to:
- To apply for a Community Health Worker (CHW) certificate through the Ohio Board of Nursing
- Earn bachelor’s and master’s degrees
- Work as case managers, nutrition or addiction treatment assistants, and women’s health specialists, among other roles
- Begin their careers while earning a social or human services salary based on the career path taken.
Make a difference as a member of the healthcare team in public or private organizations. CHWs affect the care and health of individuals, families, and communities as well as the policy with the healthcare system.
Pathway to Community Health Worker Plus
The Community Health Worker (CHW) Plus pathway combines the liberal arts core with the CHW pathway plus coursework in human services, sociology, and psychology. This is an option for individuals who are seeking a human services degree. The following are the course options for the CHW Plus pathway. Eighteen or nineteen credit hours must be earned through the completion of the required courses and electives. Additional requirements: an overall GPA of 2.0 or above in all CHW courses is required, a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all pathway courses, and the completion of a PSY 101 course within the general “core” education requirements.
Please note that pathways are not majors or minors. Rather, they are a focused way to complete your elective requirements for an Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts.
Start A Free Application
Quick and easy. Get started in minutes!