Non-degree Seeking

If you are taking courses for personal or professional purposes with no intent to earn a degree, these steps will help you get started.

Step 1: Complete an application for admission and select non-degree seeking.

Step 2: Submit proof of graduation/GED or a copy of high school transcripts to

Step 3: ACT/SAT is optional. You do not need to submit ACT/SAT scores. However, if you wish to use your scores as an alternative measure for course placement we will accept them.

Step 4: Fill out the FAFSA or make billing arrangements.

  • The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is used to award grants, loans, Federal Work-Study, and certain scholarships. Chatfield’s Federal School Code is 010880.
  • To make billing arrangements, contact Amy Roth, Financial Aid Manager at or 513-921-9856, ext. 211.

Step 5: Register for classes with an advisor.

Degree-seeking versus non-degree seeking students

Degree-seeking students earn college credits toward a degree at Chatfield College. Other degree-seeking students are those earning college credits with the intent to transfer to complete a degree at another college or university. Students with prior college credit normally enter as degree-seeking students. These transfer students must submit, for review, an official transcript from each regionally accredited institution attended. Transfer credit will be awarded on a course-by-course basis and only for those courses in which the student received a grade of “C” or better. Courses not offered in Chatfield’s curriculum may be accepted as electives toward the degree at the discretion of the Registrar. A maximum of 45 semester hours of transfer credit may be applied toward the Chatfield degree requirements.

Non-degree seeking students who have no intent to complete a college degree, at either Chatfield or elsewhere. This also includes College Credit Plus students. These students may take a maximum of 15 credit hours. Students who wish to take more than 15 credit hours must meet with the academic dean for permission to continue as a non-degree student.

Consortium students attend another college or university and have been given special permission from that institution to enroll in a limited number of classes at Chatfield on a term-by-term basis. Students are encouraged to submit a confirmation letter from the home institution indicating the student’s academic status and the transferability of the course(s) in which the student is enrolled.

non degree seeking (1)