Admissions FAQ

Admissions FAQ

When is the application deadline? Chatfield College offers a rolling admissions process but is highly recommended that a student submit all necessary information two weeks before each start.

When do classes start? Click here for the most recent Academic Calendar.

Do I need a high school diploma or GED to start classes? No. You do not need to have a high school diploma or GED to begin taking classes. However, in order to be fully admitted and to receive financial aid, you must be a high school graduate or have a GED submitted to the Financial Aid office before the first day of class.

Why do I have to submit my high school transcript if I have already attended a college? This is now a federal requirement to receive financial aid.

What is the Accuplacer test, and why do I need to take it? The Accuplacer test accurately places you into reading, writing, math and computer classes that are best suited for your abilities. The Placement Test is only to ensure your success and does not affect your admissions status.

How will I know if I’ve been accepted? You will receive an official enrollment certificate from the college along with other pertinent information.

I am an underclassman in High School and want to participate in CCP, can I do that at Chatfield? Chatfield College welcomes CCP students and is a preferred provider for many local high schools.  Click here for the current application, complete with instructions.

I am a college graduate. How do I apply? If you have already graduated from a regionally accredited institution, you must meet with the Academic Dean for program approval. Dean Peter Hanson can be reached at 513-875-3344 ext. 113.

I would like to audit a class. Is this possible? Yes. Students who are interested in taking a course solely for the value of the instruction may register to audit the course. No college credit may be earned or later claimed for an audited course. One third tuition is required for an audited course.

What is the class size at Chatfield College? The student-to-faculty ratio is currently 11 to 1, and the typical average class size is 10 students per class. At Chatfield you really are a name, not a number.

What are the classes like? Chatfield offers a wide variety of class types including both lecture/discussion courses, seminar courses and classes that are “hands on” classes.  Many classes will require lab time and some classes like zoology, archeology and art work outside and sometimes off campus.

Do teaching assistants ever teach classes in place of real professors? No, all classes are taught by either full time or adjunct faculty.

When do students have to decide on a choice of concentration?  Students should talk to their advisors when the schedule classes about concentrations. We have a wide variety to choose from or not.  The great thing about Chatfield College and the liberal arts degree program is it is ok to be undecided.

Is it possible to receive credit for courses taken at other colleges? AP? Yes. Credit through all of these programs is possible. For transfer credit, you must provide Chatfield with an official transcript sent directly from the college(s) you attended. Keep in mind, though, that some classes may not transfer. You can consult with the Registrar’s Office to confirm whether or not the college you are transferring from is accredited and whether or not the classes are transferable. For AP credit, you must earn at least a 3 on the AP exam.

I want to attend college, but circumstances require me to work full-time. How can I attend classes? Chatfield college offers block schedule classes meaning each class meets once a week for two and a half hours. This makes scheduling around most circumstances possible. We offer classes in the morning, afternoon, evening, and even on Saturdays making attendance a realistic addition to your schedule. If you are unable to work full-time and attend classes full-time, you may attend classes on a part-time basis.

How many credit hours are considered full-time? Students must be enrolled in twelve (12) or more credit hours per semester to be considered full-time.

How many credit hours are considered part-time? Students must be enrolled in six (6) or more credit hours per semester to be considered part-time.

If students need help with coursework, where can they go? We are here to help!  The Library and Learning center offer a wide variety of tutoring and academic support service.  Your instructors and advisor should also be able to help you find assistance.



Does Chatfield offer residence halls? No. Chatfield is a non-residential college and does not currently offer housing. There are several nearby apartment complexes for students at our Cincinnati campus.

Is there a meal plan? Where do students eat? Chatfield does not offer meal plans. Many students at the Cincinnati campus take advantage of Findlay Market for meals while students in St. Martin have access to Subway, Skyline Chili, and Village Pizza all are within a five minute drive from the campus.

Do you have any sports teams? No. Chatfield does not currently offer any sports programs.  We do offer tennis as a Physical Education Course at the St. Martin Campus..

What community service opportunities are available? Service is an important component of life at Chatfield. The students have worked on numerous charitable and service events in the recent past including serving the poor and homeless at the Hope Emergency Center in Brown County, organizing a Prom for a local teenager battling cancer who could not attend her own, and hosting a Easter egg hunt to benefit local charities. No matter what your interest, Chatfield can help you serve.

You’ll also find opportunities to develop your leadership skills, through clubs and organizations, such as Chatfield’s Student Leadership Council, Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), and the Julia Chatfield Honor Society.

 I have more questions about admissions. Where can I find answers? Please feel free to call or email the admissions office at Students attending the St. Martin campus can call (513) 873-3344. Students interested in the Cincinnati campus can call (513) 921-9856.